"A vibrant high-tech sector in Western Australia could contribute over $76 to $100 Billion in Gross State Product in 2025, with 3,000 to 5,000 new companies formed per year in the sector, creating over 150,000 new jobs by 2025 and enabling many more." StartupWA 2015-16 Ecosystem Report
Digital technology such as smartphones, internet software, sensors, robotics and autonomous cars are transforming our society and economy at unprecedented rates. Changing the fundamental nature of everything from taxis to hotels, health and banking.
The largest companies of the last century were industrial corporations; mass-production companies such as Ford and GE, and resource companies such as Exxon, BP and BHP. But since the 1980s technology companies such as Apple, Google, Microsoft, Uber, Airbnb and Facebook - created out of a small handful of high-tech hubs - have been vying with industrial companies to lead the pack.
Over the past decade, the early stage innovation and technology (startup) sector in WA has evolved significantly, but can be so much more with additional resources and support. Enter StartupWA...
StartupWA formed in 2015 as a non-profit entity to enable a more open, representative and effective approach to advance the technology startup industry for WA.
Mission: Create the local conditions, enabling global success, for the ventures of tomorrow.
Values: Trusted. Driven. Open
Benefits of StartupWA existence since inception include
- Voice to influence State and national policy around innovation
- Provision of trusted, accessible data on the WA sector
- First point of contact for interstate and international delegations
- Means of engaging with the rapidly changing and diversifying innovation sector
- Facilitating events with 100+ attendees on big-picture topics
Planned activities for 2017-18 include:
- Comprehensive reporting on the status and trends of our sector
- Forums sharing successes, tackling big questions and learning as a community
- Briefings for partners on emerging trends, ventures and opportunities
- Publishing insights and updates, building on reports and events
- Engagement with innovators, facilitators and supporters through meetings, online forums and events across the ecosystem
- Advocacy with key decision-makers
- Highlighting wins and opportunities
Learn more about supporting our mission and the WA startup ecosystem.
Our board has a wide range of experience in the technology industry. They have founded technology companies, accelerators, hackathons and co-working spaces, worked in venture capital and mentored a wide range of technology startups.
KEEP UP TO DATE
Sign up via the form on our contact page to receive StartupWA latest news and updates.